Your scalp becomes dry or flaky when it lacks moisture. It can also be brought on by dandruff, which causes itchiness and irritation. As a result of this, your scalp's skin becomes disturbed and starts to flake off. The hair becomes rough, dry and brittle too. Dry scalp is a result of climate change, ageing, hair care products or other skin problems. Using a few effective home remedies, you may prevent and treat scalp dryness.
6 Home Remedies for Dry Scalp
Baking soda is not only meant for making cakes, it also helps in getting rid of the excessive oils that the scalp produces. It acts as a natural cleanser that cleans off the itchy white flakes and moisturises your hair. Baking soda has antifungal properties too, fighting infections that cause scalp dryness. It is also useful in maintaining the scalp’s pH balance.
How to use:
Take 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda and mix it with water to make a consistent paste. Divide your hair into sections and start applying the paste to your scalp. Massage it gently for 2-3 minutes. Leave it on your scalp for about minutes. Thoroughly rinse the mixture with cool water. You can use this twice a week.
Coconut oil is a traditional remedy for dry scalp. Due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties, it combats irritation and infections. It gives shine to the hair and is rich in minerals, vitamins K and E. Moreover, it helps to keep your hair hydrated by strengthening the cuticles and replenishing essential nutrients for healthy strands.
How to use:
Take some coconut oil in your palm. You can use lukewarm oil for better results. Massage your scalp for 5-7 minutes after applying the oil. Keep it on for about an hour before shampooing your hair. For best outcomes, leave it overnight. This will not only reduce scalp dryness but also leaves your hair smooth and shiny.
Citric acid is found in lemon juice that helps in balancing the pH levels of your scalp. In addition, this assists in lessening scalp dryness. Lemons have antibacterial properties, making them an excellent natural treatment for itchy scalps.
How to use:
You can directly squeeze the lemon piece on your scalp and massage it for 2 minutes. Else, mix lemon juice and coconut oil. Massage our scalp for 10 minutes. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash as usual with a shampoo. You can also exfoliate your scalp once a week using lemon juice and salt. Scrub your scalp for 10 minutes by combining both these ingredients together. Wash off with a shampoo after 15 minutes.
Apple cider vinegar
One of the best natural treatments for dry scalp is apple cider vinegar. It contains probiotics and has antimicrobial properties that fight yeast and viruses that cause skin itching. It works as a light conditioner, calming the scalp and giving the hair gloss and bounce. The acid present in the apple cider vinegar makes it harder for fungus and germs to proliferate on the scalp.
How to use:
Combine two parts water and one part of apple cider vinegar. Apply it to your scalp with a cotton ball. Spend two to three minutes massaging your scalp with your fingers. Thoroughly rinse the area with cool water. Repeat this procedure frequently to see the outcomes.
Aloe vera can aid in moisturising and calming the skin. This ability to moisturise skin may help prevent dry and flaky scalp. It has anti-inflammatory effects that can help lessen skin irritability.
How to use:
You can apply aloe vera directly to your scalp and leave it for 10 minutes. You can also combine aloe vera and water to make a concentrated liquid. Apply this juice on your hair and scalp. Give your scalp a few minutes of massage and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse your hair as usual with a shampoo.
Lactobacillus paracasei and lactic acid
present in yoghurt, helps to restore the skin barrier and calms the scalp. It has antifungal properties that help in cleaning the scalp of any excess dirt or oil. This gets rid of dryness and flakiness from your scalp. Yoghurt also helps in moisturising your hair to make it frizz free. It acts as a natural conditioner for your hair, thus making it shiny in appearance.
How to use:
Yoghurt can be applied directly on your scalp and hair. It can also be mixed with eggs. Massage this mixture and wait for 15 minutes before washing. Yoghurt can be combined with fenugreek seeds. The seeds are soaked overnight, grind them and mix with yoghurt to make a smooth paste. Apply this paste on your hair and scalp. Leave it for 20-25 minutes and rinse it with water.
5 Must-try DIY Home Masks
Fenugreek seeds, yoghurt and hibiscus leaves
From ancient times, hibiscus leaves have been used to cure dry scalp. It works well as a dandruff-fighting conditioning hair mask when combined with fenugreek seeds. In addition to promoting hair development, fenugreek seed paste can also be used to treat dry scalp.
- Step1: A spoonful of fenugreek seeds should be soaked in a cup of water overnight
- Step2: Mix the hibiscus leaves and fenugreek seeds in the morning using a blender
- Step 3: When the mixture is smooth and uniform, add half a cup of yoghurt and stir it
- Step 4: Appy this hair mask from the roots to the hair length and leave it for 30 minutes
- Step 5: Wash as usual with shampoo
Avocado, honey and olive oil
Avocados are packed with antioxidants that encourage healthy scalp. This deep cleansing mask relaxes the scalp and gives lustrous hair. Olive oil helps in nourishing hair by making it soft.
- Step1: Cut the avocado in half and scoop the flesh in a bowl
- Step2 : Mash them until they are completely free of lumps
- Step3: Add two spoonfuls of olive oil and honey in the mashed avocados. Mix them well to make a consistent paste.
- Step 4: Apply this hair pack starting from roots to the tips and wait for 45 minutes.
- Step5: Wash your hair with a mild shampoo
Banana, olive oil, honey and lemon
The use of bananas can reduce dandruff, dry scalp and nourish your hair. Olive oil helps strengthen and soften your hair. Lemon juice's citric acid can maintain the pH balance of your hair. Honey can aid in dandruff reduction. People with dry hair can certainly benefit from using this mask.
- Step 1: Two ripe bananas are mashed in a bowl until a lump-free paste is obtained
- Step 2: Add one spoon each of olive oil, honey, and lemon juice. Combine them together to make a consistent paste
- Step 3: Apply it to your hair and scalp, then let it sit for 30 minutes
- Step 4: Wash your hair as usual with a shampoo
Eggs, baking soda and olive oil
Baking soda has oil absorbing properties and cleanses off itchy and flaky scalp. It is combined with eggs and olive oil to treat the damaged hair. It also helps in conditioning hair by providing moisture to it.
- Step 1: In a bowl, take one teaspoon of baking soda. To it, add one egg yolk and mix it thoroughly
- Step 2: Now, add two tablespoons of olive oil to the above prepared mixture and mix it until you get a thick consistent paste
- Step 3: Apply this mask to your scalp and hair. Leave it for 20-25 minutes
- Step 4: Wash your hair with a mild shampoo
Egg and yoghurt
Yoghurt and eggs give your scalp the hydration and nutrients it needs. Along with strengthening weak hair, the combination of eggs and curd also offers the added benefits of preventing hair loss and reducing dandruff.
- Step 1: Beat one egg and mix 3-4 tablespoons of curd in a bowl
- Step 2: Whisk the ingredients to make a thick paste
- Step 3: Apply this to your hair and scalp
- Step 4: Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it with a shampoo
Dry skin on your scalp should be handled seriously. It is necessary to treat dry scalp issues
so as to avoid any further complications. There are several home remedies available like coconut oil, eggs, yoghurt, lemon, aloe vera etc. Home-made hair masks are easy to make and can be used once or twice in a week to manage dry scalp.